A tub liner is a form of sheets made out of PVC that are formed particularly to act as the functional part of a bathtub. People often usually need to repair this when the bath tub has some issues, such as being cracked, broken or rusty. Repairing a tub liner is a solution for this when you don’t want to spend a lot of money to replace the broken tub. But even though this could be the solution for the problem, repairing the tub liner itself is not more durable than refinishing or replacing. One of the problems that we will see is the tub liner crack. And the question is of course, how do you repair the cracks in the tub liner?
How to Use the Tub Liner to Repair the Bathtub
Get to the hardware store and choose the particular liner to repair the tub liner crack for the bathtub. Every bathtub will have a different size and form and it will be required that you pick the one that has the same one as you have. If you are not sure about this, make sure that you have noted the type of bathtub and match it to the same type on the store. Or you can also ask the store or the others to make a liner that will fit perfectly with your existing tub.
Clean the bathtub before repairing it and make sure it has been dried out completely before installing the new tub liner over the crack. If you need to, put some epoxy on the broken parts of the tub to cure the problem. This will not relieve the broken parts on the tub completely but will prevent the future leakage of the tub if the liner is broken again.
You can now start repairing the bath tub liner crack with the right position based on the types of the tub. If needed, make sure that you have screwed some holes on the surface of the tub to make the liner stay in place and last longer for the usage. Wait for about 12 to 24 hours before using the bathtub to make sure the liner will stay in its place.
Repairing the Tub Liner Crack
Using epoxy will be the main thing that you can do for the repairing of tub liner crack. But first, make sure that the cracks are still small enough that it will be sufficient for you to fix it with only simple method. If the broken parts are too extreme, it will be better for you to replace the liner completely and install the new one. And with the epoxy, you will only need to place the compound with the help of the knife in the crack and wait for it to be dry.
The other thing that you can use to repair the tub liner crack is using a patch of fiberglass or the same material as the liner. You will only need to stick the patch on the cracked parts and let it dry. If required, you can also make the hole with a drill and put the patch on covering the broken parts.
If you getting a crack, chip or hole in fiberglass tub, you no need to replace with a new one. When you faced it, you can do it something which is repair the bathtub. Repair a bathtub is alternative way you can be perform to make a new one and different look to your bathtub.
In repairing the bathtub you can do for all bathtub types such as cast iron bathtubs, and porcelain bathtubs, fiberglass bathtubs. When you getting hole or crack to your fiberglass bathtub, this process you can do to make it look good as well.
It is so effective because you can save your money. If you do not have sufficient budget to replace with a new fiberglass bathtub, repair is the best solution. To perform this process, you no need to hire a professional. You can do it yourself with your elbow grease. So, read more this article and follow our tips to perform this process until the ends. Here are
– There are some equipment you must have before your perform this process. the equipment like 220, 320, and 400 wet on dry sandpaper, fiberglass repair kit, marine plastic filler, latex gloves, plastic wrap, color tint, gel coat, and 60 and 80 coarse sandpaper. Make sure you have all of this equipment as mentioned above to support your project. Purchased it at store near you.
– The first step you have to do it vigorously sand the area of the crack or hole. Use the coarse sandpaper to cover these crack or hole. And also sand outward around the perimeter of the damage area about two inches.
– The next step is cut the patches are include in fiberglass repair kit. Measure the largest of crack on the fiberglass. Cut three patches based on the largest of the crack or hole. Cut the largest patch slightly smaller that sanded area. Put on the latex gloves to protect your hands. And then mixture the fiberglass resin with droplets of hardener. The patch into fiberglass mixture that you made. Apply the patch into the crack area. The remaining of patch you can apply from smaller to larger sizes. Leave it on until several hours.
– Sand the fiberglass with coarse sandpaper. Fiberglass tub is very hard to sand. You can be used the formula 27 or equivalent marine plastic filler to repair. Apply formula 27 on the top of fiberglass until get smooth surface. You can repeat this process to cover the crack.
– After sand the fiberglass, you can do next step with using gel coat to match your tub’s color. Mix amount of gel coat with tiny bits of the tint until you get a close color match. Add hardener into the mixture. Apply this mixture with using brush over the area about 1/8 of inch thick. Apply these mixtures evenly. Leave it on until gel coat cure.
– We are almost done; use 200 of wet or dry sandpaper to blend in surrounding surface. To improve the appearance of repair area you can be used wet sand with finer grades.