Changing the hardware of the cabinets and drawers is the easy way for updating them. A plain piece of furniture can be modernized by a new cabinet knob or drawer pull, a faux aged or antique cupboard can be matched, a charm should be added to a nursery dresser or a broken pull should be replaced, so getting onto the drawer can be done without taking a crowbar for prying it open. The simple installation techniques can be mastered by all of these good reasons for the occasions when swapping new-for-old pulls using the same holes cannot be done. One hole should usually be taken by a knob and two holes should usually be taken by a pull, 3/16 inch is a general size for the screws.
If you have a plan to install the knobs and pulls, the instruction steps below can be followed to be a consideration to complete and even realize your plan. So, let’s check this out!
- The place of the knob or pull that will go on the furniture should be decided. Usually the people place a cabinet knob 1 ½ inches from the opening and vertical edge of a cabinet and 2 inches from the bottom of the cabinet on upper cabinets. They also center the single drawer pulls at least 3 inches from the top edge of the drawer. Those measures can be used as a guide, but the best placement for your furniture should be determined. It should only be kept throughout all pieces.
- A piece of blue should be stuck on where you will mark and drill it for the drill holes. The tape peels off later with no residue and no problem and marking on the wood or cabinet surface can be saved, in case a mistake should be made by you and it should be remeasured. All holes to be drilled should be measured and marked.
- The point of the nail should be placed on the mark for every hole and a starter hole for the drill bit can be created by tapping it with the hammer lightly. Guiding the drill and steadier can still be kept can be helped by this.
- The holes should be drilled from front to back and outside to inside. The accidentally splitting the wood will be prevented by this. The sawdust should be wiped and the blue tape should be removed.
- The screw should be inserted from the back or inside and a washer should be slipped over it where should be poked through the wood. The knob should be twisted onto the screw and washer on the outward facing panel. A drawer that against the screws should be placed. After they are safety fastened, turning should be stopped, so stripping the screw or splitting the wood can be avoided. Note that a washer will not be hidden by some knobs and pulls after they have been installed. In that case, the washer should be skipped.